The news is by your side.

The Difference Between Visa Subclass 491 vs 489

There are some visas where an Australian State Government can sponsor you. If you are a skilled worker, and nominated by a state or territory, you could apply for these visas. Then, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia. Sometimes, family members can be included in your application. Each State and Territory Government has a list of occupations in short supply. Sometimes, there are specific requirements such as work experience, English language ability or specialised skills.

Australian State Sponsored Visa Application Process

Generally, to get a State Sponsored Visa, you need to follow a three-step application process:

  • Step 1
    The first step usually requires you to complete a skills assessment. That way, the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) can check if you have the required level of skill in your chosen occupation to practice in Australia.
  • Step 2
    When that is done, you need to submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. At this stage, you also need to apply for State sponsorship from an Australian State or Territory. You will be able to nominate either a single state or territory, or nominate to be chosen by any state or territory. Remember, you also need to meet the sponsorship requirements of the state you seek sponsorship from.
  • Step 3
    Successfully completed step 1 and 2? Then, you may receive an “Invitation To Apply” for your visa. This means you can continue to the final stage of your application.